Sunday, June 14, 2009

Week 1, a second look

Week 1

The first week was a week of orientation. I arrived ready to throw myself into my job here, but I soon understood that there would be nothing random about my work, that in fact one of the requirements of the job was to understand very well what I was doing and why I was doing it, something that cannot be achieved without a lot of observation and patience. This job was not going to be simply a series of tasks that I completed each day, but rather a tool to help me grow while I am also serving others. To do my work well, I realized I had to garner a deep understanding of the organization, its goals and its methods.

And so little by little I began to get to know DIJO and the people that work here. Several of my coworkers gave us presentations of their work which helped to understand how the organization runs on a day to day basis as well and create a bond between us and them.

I think one of the most useful aspects of DIJO is the weekly reunion on Friday afternoons. Before the reunion everyone reads a selection of "Education is a Risk" by Don Giussani and answers some questions about the text. The answers are to be sent to the discussion moderator, Arturo, before the meeting so he can synthesize our experience, find similarities and patterns. The questions require us to examine the events of the week and judge them. We then share our experiences with the others, and in doing so realize that many of us have similar worries, problems, or joys. This method helps to understand our work at a much deeper level. For example, the question from this last week was "What does it mean to educate?"

During this first week I was struck over and over by the generosity of the people I encountered. From the family I live with that offers me everything and anything I could possibly need, to Rosalinda, my job supervisor that brought us all over the city so that we could see and know and was always buying us little sweets that are unique to Oaxaca, to the strangers I spoke with on the street when I was, yet again, lost, there are so many people here with large hearts. I feel very blessed to have this opportunity and to have meet these people.
As you may already know, at first I wanted to go to Brazil and when they told me that the Rio internship was canceled and instead I could go to Oaxaca, I was happy to be going somewhere but disappointed I wasn't going to Brazil. Non the less, when God closes a door, he opens a window and I am sure I'm here for a reason, that God wants me to learn something great here. I can only beg to have the grace to be open and understand what He presents to me. I very grateful that I am in such good company here, that I am surrounded by people who will help me in this mission.

To close the week, at the end of the reunion on Friday, I was privy to a conversation between Socorro, the head of DIJO and one of the employees, Arturo. Arturo was wondering if we could help give English repetitions to the kids of Monte Alban. Socorro, instead of agreeing told Arturo that I was here first for me and then for DIJO. I thought it was a strange statement at the time, I mean, the purpose of being here was to help, no? It wasn't until later, talking with Antonio, that I realized the hugeness of this statement. How could it be that I was here first for me, then for DIJO, which has so many needs, which serves so many people?

I still don't understand very well but I do understand that these words hold a huge promise for my time here, and really for my entire life. Understanding these words will be part of my daily work.

Semana 1

La primera semana era una semana de orientación. Llegué con grandes ganas de echarme a trabajar en la primera situación\tarea que mi dieran, pero entendí muy rápido que este trabajo no iba a ser para nada a caso, que el trabajo aquí era mucho más que simplemente una serie de tareas y para hacerlo bien tenía que entender bien la organización, sus metas y sus métodos.

Entonces iba conociéndo a organización y la gente poquito a poco. Era muy útil hablar con los demás en la oficina y escuchar sus presentaciones de DIJO porque me hicieron conocer más a DIJO y también a ellos. Además, creo que la reunión de los viernes puede ser el instrumento más útil para mi porque me permite ver como los demás confrontan los problemas que surgen de este tipo de trabajo, la desilusión o frustración, y darlos un juicio definido. No simplemente hay que traer las experiencias de la semana a la mesa, sino ver como estos problemas tienen que ver con mi vida, mi felicidad y mi crecimiento. Las experiencias compartidas se muestra que no se esta solo en el trabajo. En compartir aprendo a vivir mejor y en vivir mejor aprendo a hacer mi trabajo en una manera mejor. Es muy útil tener que escribir la respuestas antes de llegar porque me hace juzgar mis experiencias del pasado, con las experiencias de la semana y estar lista para la reunión.

En esta primera semana me impactó mucho la generosidad de las personas que encontré. Desde la familia con quien vivo que me ofrece todo, hasta Rosalinda que nos lleva para todas partes a conocer, aprender y entender, comprándonos las dulcitas mejores de Oaxaca, hasta los disonocidos por la calle que me dan indicaciones cuando me pierdo, hay un montón de personas con grandes corazones y me siento muy bendecida de tener esta oportunidad.

Como quizás sabe ya, al principio yo quería ir a Brasil y cuando me dijeron que iba a ir en vez a Oaxaca perdí un poquito de mi entusiasmo. Sin embargo, se dice que cuando Dios cierra una puerta, abre una ventana y estoy segura de que estoy aquí por un razón, que Dios quiere que aprendo algo grande. Solamente ruego a Dios de tener la gracia de estar abierta y entender lo que se me presenta. Doy gracias a Dios que me puso en tan buen compañía que me ayuda en esta misión.

Para terminar, al fin de la reunión el viernes, hablando con Soco y Arturo Soco le dijo a Arturo que yo estaba aquí primero para mi y después para DIJO. Al principio no me culpé mucho, no entendí la grandeza de estas palabras hasta que empecé a hablar con Antonio. Hablando con el, me di cuenta de la enormidad de esto comentarios de Soco. Como puede ser que tendría que ponerme primero, cuando hay tantas necesidades en las comunidades de DIJO? Pensaba que estaba aquí para servirles!!

Todavía no entiendo muy bien pero sí entiendo que estas palabras tienen una promesa y un desafío muy grande. Entender estas palabras hasta el fundo será uno de mis tareas en estas semanas.

No comments:

Post a Comment